This will a be a very short and precise post dedicated to the octopus (Polvo Lagareiro). For many evenings I’ve been criticised for not cooking enough and gently shifting this function to the man’s hands. However, when I actually cook I like to experiment even though not always these are successful experiments. So, that time I decided to experiment with one of my favourite ingredients – octopus and prepare something that has it’s origin in Portugal. The meal is called – Polvo Lagareiro. It is a fairly simple recipe that takes about 1 hour.
Ingredients for 2 portions:
- 1 kg Preferably fresh, otherwise frozen octopus
- 4-5 potatoes
- 1 Pepper fruit
- 1 Squash
- 1 Onion
- 2-3 cloves of Garlic
- Boil octopus for 30-40 min in a big pan together with onion. In the end we will not use the onion, we need it only for giving some flavour and neutralizing a strong octopus smell
- Start to heat oven – 200 degrees (Celsius)
- Meanwhile, start cutting potatoes into small square pieces. Mix the pieces with salt and herb and oil (olive or sunflower). Regarding the herbs, it could be oregano, rosmarin, basilica or anything else you prefer.
- Cut pepper fruit in lines and squash in circles.
- Put potatoes and cut vegetables in a baking dish. Add a little bit of oil and garlic cloves. Put the dish in the oven and start baking the vegetable.
- Once octopus is ready, add it to the dish in the oven, just put in the centre on the top of potatoes and continue baking until potatoes are becoming soft and golden. It will take around 30-40 minutes overall.
Delicious! Enjoy 😉